Sunday, June 5, 2022

Life Isn't A Hallmark Movie

Over the last several years, I’ve become a fan of the Hallmark Channel and the movies that they produce. The movies have pretty much been viewable by all age groups.  The Christmas movies are pleasant and some even have some Christ-honoring music.  Of course, there are the Valentine’s Day selections, which are predictable, but also enjoyable to watch.  During the rest of the year, the plots are fairly similar, but, again, interesting.  They seem to strive for the “feel good” story lines with happy endings, and there isn’t anything wrong with that, except life isn’t a Hallmark movie.  But maybe that’s why they produce these movies.

The human experience has happy endings, occasionally, but this life also has sad, and sometimes, tragic endings.  Jesus said, “In the world you have tribulations . . . .” (John 16:33). There is no shortage of sickness, sorrow, sadness, and grief.  Illnesses, divorces, natural disasters, broken relationships, loss of jobs, death of family members and close friends do not make for a happy ending.

 

Added to all of those sorrows, this past two years with the Covid virus has only served to amplify the level of grief that is found in the normal living of life.  Many of us have lost family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors due to contracting Covid-19.  As a hospital chaplain, I have seen more death and grief in these past two years to last me the rest of my life.  There were no Hallmark Channel happy endings as the family members took off their protective equipment and left the ICU after saying “good-bye” to their loved one.  

 

Many people are still suffering from what’s being called “long-term Covid symptoms,” that is, something is still not right physically or mentally.  I, and others, have been dealing with something called “vestibular neuritis,” which is a constant state of vertigo, or dizziness.  I was told this is caused by “a virus,” attacking the vestibular nerve in the inner ear, causing inflammation and damage to that nerve.  Is there a direct link to the Covid-19 virus?  No one will officially say so, but there have, coincidently, been many others who have struggled with the same condition, for months, following their fighting off the Covid-19 virus.

 

Suffering, in this life is a given.  Jesus said so, as did the other writers of the Bible.  Suffering has, at its core, sin.  Sin is the root cause of suffering, our own sin or the sin that others commit out of their own selfish desires.  Spend some time considering that truth.  There aren’t many pastors, teachers or educators who will come right out and say it because in our western culture, the word “sin” has become taboo, not politically correct; it doesn’t fit with the secular narrative that humanity is “good.” But God’s Word is true and sin is the cause of all our suffering.

 

Sin is the reason our Lord, Jesus, came from the glories of heaven to this sin-sick world in which we live, so that He could redeem all those who will believe in His death and resurrection and be saved from the curse of sin, brought about by Adam and Eve’s disobedience to God.

 

Understanding that truth doesn't, necessarily, make living in this sin-sick world much easier.  Yes, we know that eternal life belongs to every true believer; we know that God promises never to leave us or forsake us; we know that God has promised to meet all our needs.  But at the moment of sorrow, at the moment of grief, there is still pain and maybe even confusion, “God, why is this happening?  I don’t understand.”

 

Many, many years ago, at the first church that the Lord called me to pastor, I was teaching the Sunday evening service and we were talking about suffering.  It’s the question that a lot of people want answers to, but seldom are willing to accept what God’s Word has to say.  I thought it would be helpful to play a song that I had on one of my CD’s.  It was called, “Blessing In the Thorn” by Philips, Crain and Dean.  The lyrics are below and I hope it helps those of you who are currently walking through a valley of suffering.

 

May the Lord bless you and keep you; may He shine His light upon you during your journey.

 

By His Grace,

Gary T. Dromi, Ph.D., D.Min.

 

 

"Blessing In the Thorn"by Philips, Craig and Dean

 

I read about a man of God

Who gloried in his weakness. 

And I wished that I could be

More like Him and less like me.

Am I to blame for what I'm not,

Or is pain the way God teaches me to grow?

I need to know.

 

When does the thorn become a blessing?

When does the pain become a friend?

When does the weakness make me stronger?

When does my faith make me whole again?

I want to feel His arms around me

In the middle of my raging storm,

So that I can see the blessing in the thorn.

 

I heard it said the strength of Christ

Is perfect in my weakness.

And the more that I go through

The more I prove the promise true.

His love will go to any length,

It reaches even now to where I am.

But tell me once again,

 

When does the thorn become a blessing?

When does the pain become a friend?

When does the weakness make me stronger?

When does my faith make me whole again?

I want to feel His arms around me

In the middle of my raging storm,

So that I can see the blessing in the thorn.

 

Lord, I have to ask You,

On the cross, You suffered through;

Was there a time You ever doubted

What You already knew?

 

When does the thorn become a blessing?

When does the pain become a friend?

When does my weakness make me stronger?

When does my faith make me whole again?

I want to feel His arms around me

In the middle of my raging storm,

So that I can see the blessing in the thorn.

Oh, I want to see the blessing in the thorn.